Barrington Grandparents’ Rights Lawyers
At the law firm of Manassa Hartman, P.C., we are proactive advocates for our clients' best interests. Our Barrington grandparents' rights attorneys have been successfully resolving disputes between parents and grandparents, as well as other family law matters in Illinois, for decades. Whether clients need mediation, negotiation or litigation, we have the resources and acumen to pursue the best possible outcome in each case.
This area of the law changes frequently, so it is wise to consult an experienced family law lawyer for advice about your particular situation.
Child Visitation Rights For Grandparents
Under Illinois law, the parent determines how much time, if any, a grandparent may spend with his or her grandchild. The law assumes that parents will take appropriate steps to promote a positive, healthy relationship between the child and the grandparent.
If the parent passes away, becomes disabled or is incarcerated, he or she is no longer able to protect the grandchild-grandparent relationship. In such cases, the grandparents can request visitation rights from the other parent or the court.
Child Custody Rights For Grandparents
In most cases, a grandmother or grandfather does not have an automatic right to custody of a grandchild. However, there are certain exceptions. If a grandparent has been the primary caregiver for the child (raising the baby while both parents were in prison, for instance), the family law courts in Illinois may allow the grandchild to continue to live with the grandparent, even after the parents become available.
Accusations of grandparent interference are not uncommon after two parents divorce. If one parent has to work the weekend, for instance, he or she may choose to drop the children off at the grandparent's house instead of allowing the other parent to take them. On the other hand, grandparents who once had frequent access to their grandchildren may find themselves suddenly accused of interfering with the parenting time arrangement if they offer to baby-sit.
Contact A Schaumburg Child Custody Attorney
In every type of grandparent rights dispute, Manassa Hartman, P.C., provides respectful, innovative family law solutions that protect the best interests of the child while upholding the rights of both parents and grandparents. To schedule a free initial consultation, call our Barrington or Crystal Lake office at 847-221-5511, or contact us online.
Divorce and Separation Articles
- Divorce and Separation Overview
- Crystal Lake Divorce Attorneys
- Schaumburg Divorce Lawyers
- The Divorce Process in Illinois
- Temporary Order Hearings Attorneys
- Barrington Social Networking Attorneys
- Dating And Divorce Attorneys
- Barrington Divorce Support Groups
- Stalking Protective Order Attorneys
- Barrington Fathers’ Rights Lawyers
- Illinois Military Divorce Lawyers
- Alternatives To Divorce
- Barrington Annulment Lawyers
- Barrington Divorce Mediation Lawyers
- Collaborative Divorce
- Why Use Collaborative Law?
- The Collaborative Law Process
- Barrington Same-Sex Partnership Lawyers
- Barrington Same-Sex Divorce Lawyer
- Barrington Legal Separation Attorneys
- Barrington Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys
- Barrington Parentage Lawyers
- Barrington Domestic Violence Attorneys
- Postnuptial Agreements Attorney
- Illinois Mothers' Rights Attorneys
- Tax Consequences Of Divorce
- Post-Judgment Actions Family Law Attorneys