Barrington Child Custody & Visitation FAQ

Child custody is one of the most emotional aspects of marital separation and divorce. Stakes are high as you navigate the legal system, striving to keep both your parental rights and your children’s best interests well balanced.

Barrington Child Custody Attorneys Are Here To Answer Your Questions And Represent Your Best Interests

Whether you are approaching divorce or seeking a modification to an existing child custody order in Illinois, we welcome your inquiry. Call or email us to discuss any of the following issues or other child custody-related matters. Are your questions related to any of the ones in this “child custody and visitation FAQ” collection?

Q: Is Joint Custody or Sole Custody Appropriate for My Child(ren)?

A: The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act specifies that, “the maximum involvement and cooperation of both parents regarding the physical, mental, moral, and emotional well-being of their child is in the best interest of the child.” If you and your (soon-to-be) former spouse can communicate and cooperate for the sake of your children’s well-being, joint custody may make the most sense. Joint custody means that you and the other parent will work together to make major decisions for your child(ren). On the other hand, there may be compelling reasons in favor of sole custody for one of the parents.

Q: What Happens when There Are Disputes Between Parents Regarding Visitation Schedules or Processes?

A: Mutually agreeable creative solutions are often the most beneficial for all concerned. If you wish to maximize your involvement in your children’s lives and minimize the likelihood of a drawn-out legal battle with the other parent, prepare to work closely with your child custody lawyer. Attorneys at Manassa Law P.C. , are ready to help you resolve visitation disputes reasonably. We are well qualified to advocate effectively on your behalf.

Q: What if I Need to Request a Modification to A Child Custody Order Because I Am Going to Move or Have a New Job that Requires Frequent Travel?

It is not uncommon for parents to ask family law courts for permission to move and take children out of state or otherwise change child custody and visitation orders. The length of time that has passed since the child custody order became valid will make a difference.

If less than two years have gone by, you will need to demonstrate to the court that your child would be somehow endangered by keeping the current child custody order in effect.

If more than two years have passed, you will need to demonstrate that a substantial change has taken place. The proposed new child custody and visitation arrangement should preserve the child’s well-being, promote a healthy home environment and encourage continued involvement by both parents.

Contact Us To Ask Your Own Questions

When Manassa Law P.C. , is your family law firm, you can rest assured that our Barrington child support lawyers will devote the time necessary to thoughtfully answer your questions. Call 815-384-2238 or 847-282-4051 or email us to schedule a consultation, discuss your concerns with one of our attorneys and learn how we can help you.

Manassa Law – Barrington Office

1000 Hart Rd 3rd Floor
Barrington, IL 60010
P: (847) 996-9177