Barrington Child Support Modification Lawyers
Child support orders are meant to reflect the current financial circumstances and needs of the child(ren). However, the loss of a job, a child's graduation from school or an out-of-state relocation can change a person's financial situation dramatically. In such cases, a parent may need to request a modification to the existing court order for child support.
At the Illinois family law firm of Manassa Hartman, P.C., our mission is to protect the best interests of our clients and their children at every stage of life. Our Barrington child support modification attorneys have decades of experience in child support enforcement, collection and modification issues, as well as all other divorce and parentage matters.
Understanding What Constitutes A Substantial Change In Circumstance
Both parents have an obligation to make sure their child is provided for financially. The amount a parent must pay in child support, however, may be modified on a showing of a substantial change of circumstances. Such significant changes may include:
• Changes to child custody or visitation agreements • Losing a job, resulting in significantly lower income • Gaining a new job or promotion, resulting in significantly higher income • New obligations to support children from other relationships • New medical or educational needs of the child
Take Prompt Action To Avoid Arrears
Do not hesitate to request a child support modification as soon as possible. They are only modifiable retroactive to the date of the filing of a petition for modification. For instance, if a father loses his job in January, but waits until May before requesting a modification to his support orders, the court may only retroactively decrease the amount he owes back to May. He will still owe the full amount of child support for January through April.
Learn More About The Child Support Calculator For Illinois
For experienced, accomplished assistance in pursuing a child custody modification in Illinois, turn to Manassa Hartman, P.C. Schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer at our firm by calling our Barrington or Crystal Lake office at 847-221-5511, or contact us online.
Custody and Support Articles
- Barrington Child Custody Attorneys
- Custody and Support Issues
- Child Custody
- Barrington Child Visitation Lawyers
- Child Custody Modification
- Child Custody & Visitation FAQ
- Concerning Child Custody And Preference
- Child Support/Collection
- Barrington Child Support Modification Lawyers
- Child Support Laws In Illinois
- Day Care & Child Support Lawyer
- Barrington College Education And Child Support Lawyer
- Child Support Arrears
- Interstate Removal/Parental Relocation
- Barrington Grandparents’ Rights Lawyers
- Schaumburg Attorneys For Child Abductions
- Crystal Lake Child Custody Litigation Attorneys
- Family Law Civil Contempt Attorneys