Barrington Legal Separation Attorneys
Misconceptions abound about what constitutes legal separation in Illinois. Many individuals believe that if they are no longer living in the same house as their spouse, they are legally separated. This is not true. Legal separation is an actual legal status that must be granted by the state of Illinois.
At Manassa, Stassen & Vaclavek, P.C. , we carefully educate our clients on the benefits and limitations of legal separation, advise them about how to attain their legal goals and advocate for their best interests in every step of the process. From our offices in Barrington and Crystal Lake, our Barrington legal separation lawyers represent individuals and families throughout the surrounding cities of Illinois.
Choosing Between Legal Separation And Divorce
A decision to legally separate is quite similar to a decision to divorce. At the end of the day, the only real difference is that both parties are still technically married. Some couples prefer this due to religious beliefs or for tax reasons.
In the absence of a mediated legal separation agreement, the family law courts will make decisions regarding child custody, child support, spousal maintenance and other matters. Although the court cannot make decisions regarding the division of assets without permission from both parties, it can grant one party the right to temporarily remain in the home or use the family car, for instance.
Before a couple decides that filing for legal separation is the most beneficial route, they should consult an experienced Illinois family law lawyer. Legal separation and divorce can have very different effects on government benefits, medical insurance coverage, federal taxes and more.
Contact An Arlington Heights Family Law Lawyer
Manassa, Stassen & Vaclavek, P.C. , is a strong resource for any individual who has questions about his or her marital rights or is contemplating a legal separation. To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call us at 847-282-4051 or 847-221-5511, or contact us online.
Divorce and Separation Articles
- Divorce and Separation Overview
- Crystal Lake Divorce Attorneys
- Schaumburg Divorce Lawyers
- The Divorce Process in Illinois
- Temporary Order Hearings Attorneys
- Barrington Social Networking Attorneys
- Dating And Divorce Attorneys
- Barrington Divorce Support Groups
- Stalking Protective Order Attorneys
- Barrington Fathers’ Rights Lawyers
- Illinois Military Divorce Lawyers
- Alternatives To Divorce
- Barrington Annulment Lawyers
- Barrington Divorce Mediation Lawyers
- Collaborative Divorce
- Why Use Collaborative Law?
- The Collaborative Law Process
- Barrington Same-Sex Partnership Lawyers
- Barrington Same-Sex Divorce Lawyer
- Barrington Legal Separation Attorneys
- Barrington Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys
- Barrington Parentage Lawyers
- Barrington Domestic Violence Attorneys
- Postnuptial Agreements Attorney
- Illinois Mothers' Rights Attorneys
- Tax Consequences Of Divorce
- Post-Judgment Actions Family Law Attorneys
- Barrington Lawyer For Divorce And Bankruptcy
- Divorce And Estate Planning Lawyer In Barrington