Illinois law and federal law differ in regard to civil unions, sometimes referred to as domestic partnerships or same-sex partnerships. The Illinois Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act gives same-sex couples joined by civil unions equal rights with married, opposite-sex couples. As of 2014, same-sex marriage is now also legal in Illinois.
Additionally, due to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, married same-sex couples have the same legal rights and protections. That also means same-sex divorce will be an issue for some couples. For couples in a civil union who are contemplating dissolving their union, it is important to engage the assistance and up-to-date legal counsel of a law firm skilled in this ever-changing area of family law. At Manassa Law P.C., we are this law firm. Our Barrington same-sex partnership attorneys have decades of experience serving both same-sex and opposite-sex couples throughout the state. We also have a highly respected reputation for providing personal care and attention along with high-end, trial-ready representation.
Dissolution Of Civil Partnership In Illinois
Because Illinois law confers the same rights on same-sex civil unions as it does on opposite-sex marriages, ending either relationship incurs similar challenges and choices. As a marriage can be severed by divorce, a civil union can be ended by dissolution, and the same issues will have to be addressed. These may include:
• Other areas
Our attorneys not only assist same-sex couples with understanding the ramifications of dissolving a civil union under Illinois law, but they also guide them through the complexities of federal law as it pertains to such partnerships. We can explain how an individual’s tax filing status and federal tax obligations may differ in regard to child support, alimony, government-based retirement plans, pensions and other issues.
Contact A Barrington Same-Sex Marriage Lawyer For Civil Union
To learn more about same-sex marriage or dissolving civil partnership in Illinois, consult the accomplished LGBT community family lawyers at Manassa Law P.C. Schedule a free initial consultation by calling our Barrington or Crystal Lake office at 847-221-5511, or contact us online.
Divorce and Separation Articles
- Divorce and Separation Overview
- Crystal Lake Divorce Attorneys
- Schaumburg Divorce Lawyers
- The Divorce Process in Illinois
- Temporary Order Hearings Attorneys
- Barrington Social Networking Attorneys
- Dating And Divorce Attorneys
- Barrington Divorce Support Groups
- Stalking Protective Order Attorneys
- Barrington Fathers’ Rights Lawyers
- Illinois Military Divorce Lawyers
- Alternatives To Divorce
- Barrington Annulment Lawyers
- Barrington Divorce Mediation Lawyers
- Collaborative Divorce
- Why Use Collaborative Law?
- The Collaborative Law Process
- Barrington Same-Sex Partnership Lawyers
- Barrington Same-Sex Divorce Lawyer
- Barrington Legal Separation Attorneys
- Barrington Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys
- Barrington Parentage Lawyers
- Barrington Domestic Violence Attorneys
- Postnuptial Agreements Attorney
- Illinois Mothers’ Rights Attorneys
- Tax Consequences Of Divorce
- Post-Judgment Actions Family Law Attorneys